Self-Represented Litigant

This guide is designed to provide information and resources to commonly asked questions from self-represented litigants in the Hawai‘i Court system.

Disclaimer: The information provided should not be construed as legal advice or legal assistance.

Note: Call No. references are for materials held at the libraries of the Hawaii State Law Library System (HSLLS).

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I do legal research?

Hawai‘i State Law Library System Locations and Contact Information

The libraries have public computers with free access to the internet and various legal databases for legal research. Library staff can assist with legal research by locating appropriate resources and information.

Where can I go to prepare my court paperwork?

Supreme Court Law Library

Self-Help computer station with access to various self-represented litigant online services and Microsoft Word for drafting forms and legal documents. Printing charged at $.15 per page, cash or check payment only.

What does this legal term mean?
What court form do I use?

Court Forms, Hawai‘i State Judiciary

Court Forms by Circuit: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and Jurisdiction: Civil, District, Family, Traffic

Statewide Forms: Agency Appeal, Appellate, Civil Information Sheet, Land and Tax Appeal Court, Mortgage Foreclosure Conversion

Select Forms and Procedural Instructions, Hawai‘i Rules of Court

Hawai‘i Self-Help Interactive Forms, Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i

Hawai‘i Appellate Practice Manual, 2012
Call No. KFH555 H32

Who do I give completed court forms to?

Completed forms are filed with the court that has jurisdiction over your case. Filing fees may apply.

Court Contact and Filing Fee Information





Where is my court located and what do I do when I get there?
Where can I get legal help?
Are there any other helpful local services or resources?

Download this FAQ Link downloads PDF