COVID-19 Landlord-Tenant and Homeowner
This guide is designed to provide information and resources to commonly asked questions about landlord-tenant issues in Hawai‘i as a result of the COVID-19 / Coronavirus pandemic.
Disclaimer: The information provided should not be construed as legal advice or legal assistance.
Note: Call No. references are for materials held at the libraries of the Hawaii State Law Library System (HSLLS), unless otherwise noted.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get rent/utility bill relief and housing assistance?
- Rental & Utility Relief Program, City & County of Honolulu – Program temporarily reopens on Monday, October 3, 2022 @ 2:00 pm HST for up to 8,000 new applications.
- Hawai‘i Utility Bill Assistance Program – Funds have been depleted. Contact Aloha United Way 211 Helpline for other service or assistance programs.
What are my rights as a tenant or renter?
- Handbook for the Hawaii Residential Landlord-Tenant Code (2018 ed.)
- Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS), Chapter 521: Residential Landlord-Tenant Code
- Hawaii Landlord-Tenant Information
- Hawaii District Court Landlord-Tenant Manual, 3rd
Call No. DESK KFH117 H34 2007 (SCLL & Hilo)
- HSLLS Landlord-Tenant Code Subject Guide
- Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections: Hawaii (HUD)
- Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (LASH)
- Chuukese (language) Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (LASH)
- Marshallese (language) Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (LASH)
What are my rights as a homeowner/landlord?
Where can I get landlord-tenant legal help or information?
- Landlord Tenant FAQs
- Rapid Response Landlord-Tenant Information
- Guidance for Homeowners and Renters
- Hawaii Housing Authority: Subsidized Housing and Section 8 Assistance
- Helping Hands Hawai‘i Emergency Assistance Program
- Maui Economic Opportunity Inc. Financial Assistance
- STAE (Steps to Avoid Eviction)
- LawHelp: Eviction Information
- Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i
Where can I get homeowner legal help or information?
My landlord shut off my utilities and/or locked me out. What can I do?
- Illegal Lockout Court Form
- Illegal Utility Shutoff Court Form and Information
- Q & A: Illegal Lockout and Utility/Essential Service Shutoff
- Fair Housing Issues During COVID-19
- Housing Issues During COVID-19
I don’t qualify for free legal assistance. What can I do?
Are there other Hawai‘i community services available?
Are there Hawai‘i specific landlord-tenant books I can use at the library?
- Evictions and Landlord-Tenant Laws in Hawaii by David W.H. Chee
Call No. KFH117 C41 1998
- Residential and Commercial Evictions in Hawaii by Anne M. Anderson, et.al.
Call No. KFH121 R31 1996 (SCLL & Hilo)