COVID-19 Landlord-Tenant and Homeowner
This guide is designed to provide information and resources to commonly asked questions about landlord-tenant issues in Hawai‘i as a result of the COVID-19 / Coronavirus pandemic.
Disclaimer: The information provided should not be construed as legal advice or legal assistance.
Note: Call No. references are for materials held at the libraries of the Hawaii State Law Library System (HSLLS), unless otherwise noted.
For information regarding Supreme Court Law Library access, please click here. All Circuit Court Libraries remain open to the public during normal business hours. Thank you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hawai‘i Utility Bill Assistance Program – Applications accepted beginning Feb. 8, 2021 at 8:00 am.
- State of Hawai‘i / City and County of Honolulu / Department of Hawaiian Home Lands / AUW Rent Relief and Housing Assistance Programs – CLOSED, no longer accepting applications. To check on the Status of an existing application, click HERE.
- Catholic Charities Coronavirus Rental Assistance – CLOSED, no longer accepting applications.
- Handbook for the Hawaii Residential Landlord-Tenant Code (2018 ed.)
- Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS), Chapter 521: Residential Landlord-Tenant Code
- Hawaii Landlord-Tenant Information
- Hawaii District Court Landlord-Tenant Manual, 3rd
Call No. DESK KFH117 H34 2007 (SCLL & Hilo)
- HSLLS Landlord-Tenant Code Subject Guide
- Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections: Hawaii (HUD)
- Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (LASH)
- COVID-19 Landlord Tenant FAQs
- Rapid Response Landlord-Tenant Information
- Guidance for Homeowners and Renters
- Hawaii Housing Authority: Subsidized Housing and Section 8 Assistance
- Helping Hands Hawai‘i Emergency Assistance Program
- Maui Economic Opportunity Inc. Financial Assistance
- STAE (Steps to Avoid Eviction)
- LawHelp: Eviction Information
- Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i
- Illegal Lockout Court Form
- Illegal Utility Shutoff Court Form and Information
- Q & A: Illegal Lockout and Utility/Essential Service Shutoff
- Fair Housing Issues During COVID-19
- Housing Issues During COVID-19
- Evictions and Landlord-Tenant Laws in Hawaii by David W.H. Chee
Call No. KFH117 C41 1998
- Residential and Commercial Evictions in Hawaii by Anne M. Anderson, et.al.
Call No. KFH121 R31 1996 (SCLL & Hilo)